Red Devil Worshipers

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The drawbacks of Classic Car Ownership

Well, day two without my Corvair has come and gone. My mechanic was able to get in touch with one of the two or three Corvair mechanics I have listed in my battery of mechanics, and was able to get the bushings. Now the estimate is yet to come. I am hoping that it will be reasonable, which I mean less than $400 total. I figure the parts will not be more than $30 to $40 and with the labor at about $80/hour, I'm probably looking at $110 or $120, $200 max. I am also hoping that this will be the last major fix for her for a while. I still have to get the heat shrouds for the engine, as well as a tune up. I also want to install a fan in the engine compartment. In the area of cosmetics, I still want to get a new stereo, satellite receiver and speakers installed. Speaking of fans, I also want to place a small dash-mounted fan, preferably attached at the top of the windshield, near the rearview mirror. Minor fixes include latches for the vent windows on both the driver side and passenger side windows, heavy duty floor mats, which feature an, "8-Ball," design, replacement cigarette light/ac adaptor, and possible tinting. I am hoping to get the Lil' Red Devil entered in next month's car show in South Pasadena. It would be the first for her, so I want to at least get the tune up and shrouds installed prior.

To style. . .

No comments: